[Mageia-dev] What's with all the "fedora" named services in Drakxservice??

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun May 6 16:09:51 CEST 2012

Jeeze, first people complain draxservices doesn't show all systemd
service and now that I fixed that people complain they show them... I
can't win :p

'Twas brillig, and Robert Fox at 06/05/12 09:14 did gyre and gimble:
> I wanted to check something using drakxservices and noticed here are 8
> separate sevices starting with the name "fedora" in them
> (fedora-autorelabel, fedora-readonly, fedora-configure)
>
> Not all services are running and I am not sure what each of these does.
> More disturbing is why they are called "fedora" instead of Mageia?

Hmm, you have a strange definition of "disturbing" :)

These are upstream provided units that do what we want them to do. I see
no reason to rename them to mageia and introduce potential problems for
a purely cosmetic thing. Same reason to not rename mandrake_everytime
service.

> Also, I noticed 22 different "systemd" entries - many of which are not
> started on boot or not running (like systemd-readahead-collect) - Where
> can I read about these to understand more and why so many??

Look at the code. Just cat/less the systemd unit file then look at what
it does and follow it through. There is also a handy "Info" button that
gives you a broad overview of what it does.

Longer term, we should hide certain services that users do not really
have control over and generally shouldn't care about.