[Mageia-dev] Upgrade: Seamonkey 2.9.1

Eric Elena eric at voguemerry.com
Wed May 23 15:42:22 CEST 2012

Hello,

As Iceape was keeping crashing on my machine and because it was an old
version, I decided to upgrade to the last version available. But instead
of doing something dirty (configure, make, make install), I made a clean
rpm of it, as it is easier to manage, and I switched to Seamonkey.

This was made for Mageia 1 but it should just work on Mageia 2. It seems
there are troubles between Seamonkey and GCC 4.7, I added a patch for
that based on what other distros did (this one is taken from Arch). And
if the libvpx shipped with Mageia 2 is >= 1.0.0, system libvpx can be
used.

The RPM includes the whole suite, that is the browser, the mail client,
the composer, the IRC client, the DOM inspector and the JS debugger.
There are 2 separate RPMs for lightning (calendar) and enigmail (GUI for
GPG). I have to say I almost didn't try lightning and enigmail, I just
checked they were launching. I also made a package for each locale
available. Official-branding was used as there were almost no
modifications to the source code (patches are here to prevent errors
during compilation).

I haven't done any packaging before, my work is based on spec files from
Mageia or from other distros, and I used a lot the Firefox spec file
(including the virtual package for the locales). In the end, Firefox
spec file and Seamonkey spec file are quite similar. Maybe a template
can be created for all the Mozilla products but it's far beyond my
understanding of the RPM mechanisms. However, I'm not sure if my spec
file is correct or not (epoch, obsoletes, provides, the requirements,
the versions, etc.).

Unfortunately, I read that Iceape was removed for Mageia 2. Maybe
Seamonkey can be resurrected instead. And another bad news, I don't have
time to be a maintainer for several reasons. I don't have enough time,
my PC is old (lot of time to compile) with a limited amount of RAM (lot
of time to link) and I need to run a stable version (not cauldron). The
files are ready, if someone wants to use them and becomes maintainer,
there is no problem at all. If not, I will run it just for me.

Now, what you have been waiting for, the files are available here:
http://voguemerry.com/seamonkey (there is also an RPM for the i586
architecture). I'm hosting them, please be nice with my machine. The
source can be downloaded directly from Seamonkey website.

Eric