[Mageia-dev] Fwd: fallback mode

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Nov 6 01:02:34 CET 2012

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 06:56:55PM -0500, andre999 wrote:
> Olav Vitters a écrit :
> >fyi
> Sujet: fallback mode
> De: Matthias Clasen <matthias.clasen at gmail.com>
> Date: 2012-11-05 10:42
> Pour: distributor-list at gnome.org
> Copie: GNOME release team <release-team at gnome.org>
>
> I'm writing to inform you that the release team discussed
> https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointSeven/Features/DropOrFixFallbackMode
> yesterday. We've come to the conclusion that we can't maintain
> fallback mode in reasonable quality, and are better off dropping it.
> >

> Really short-sighted, if the display performance problems aren't solved.
> The processor-intensive extras are really just eye candy, and should
> be optional, depending on the resources available.  Instead of
> forcing software emulation of hardware acceleration of display in
> order to use regular (non-fallback) mode, it should instead use
> hardware acceleration if available only where it could produce
> significant performance gains.
> And certainly not for display in a virtual console, which becomes
> extremely slow.

This discussion has been held various times before. Please read the wiki
link. The reason I'm forwarding the email is to get feedback about the
impact on Mageia.

> The reorganization of the default screen layout can be largely
> reverted if desired by ajusting the configuration and/or using
> already available extensions, so that isn't a problem.
> Although the configuration programs don't yet work coherently, and
> some aspects don't work at all (at least in fallback mode which I'm
> forced to use.)

Fallback mode is supposed to work exactly like GNOME shell. It doesn't
in practice, but that was not the intention.

> The tablet-style gtk+ themes currently available are anything but
> user-friendly for those who want a readable compact space-efficient
> display on normal sized displays.  But that is bound to improve, as
> more gtk+2 themes are ported to gtk+3.
> (But the light-switch-type icons in place of check boxes is weird
> and easily misunderstood.)
> As one gnome developer said recently in his blog, the gnome
> interface design team are seriously out of touch with those who work
> on their computer.

I don't think that bit is ontopic for a Mageia development list.
--
Regards,
Olav