[Mageia-dev] Fwd: fallback mode

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Tue Nov 6 00:56:55 CET 2012

Olav Vitters a écrit :
> fyi
Sujet: fallback mode
De: Matthias Clasen <matthias.clasen at gmail.com>
Date: 2012-11-05 10:42
Pour: distributor-list at gnome.org
Copie: GNOME release team <release-team at gnome.org>

I'm writing to inform you that the release team discussed
https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointSeven/Features/DropOrFixFallbackMode
yesterday. We've come to the conclusion that we can't maintain
fallback mode in reasonable quality, and are better off dropping it.

Really short-sighted, if the display performance problems aren't solved.
The processor-intensive extras are really just eye candy, and should be
optional, depending on the resources available.  Instead of forcing
software emulation of hardware acceleration of display in order to use
regular (non-fallback) mode, it should instead use hardware acceleration
if available only where it could produce significant performance gains.
And certainly not for display in a virtual console, which becomes
extremely slow.

The reorganization of the default screen layout can be largely reverted
if desired by ajusting the configuration and/or using already available
extensions, so that isn't a problem.
Although the configuration programs don't yet work coherently, and some
aspects don't work at all (at least in fallback mode which I'm forced to
use.)

The tablet-style gtk+ themes currently available are anything but
user-friendly for those who want a readable compact space-efficient
display on normal sized displays.  But that is bound to improve, as more
gtk+2 themes are ported to gtk+3.
(But the light-switch-type icons in place of check boxes is weird and
easily misunderstood.)
As one gnome developer said recently in his blog, the gnome interface
design team are seriously out of touch with those who work on their
computer.

--
André