[Mageia-dev] Fwd: fallback mode

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Nov 6 01:09:21 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 12:56:05AM +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:

They're planning to kill off the bit in Nautilus which can draw the
background and put that functionality in a new process/module. So
Nautilus won't do it anymore, but some other process would. No clue if
that includes the desktop icons… this splitting off was meant to help
Unity as they seem to depend on this functionality.

It seems Unity is planning to not rely on this functionality from
Nautilus, so the thought was that maybe it can just be killed. I can ask
to still do the work because some people make use of this in GNOME 3.

In any case, the splitting off is not a priority at the moment as it
would just move code around while potentially introducing bugs. Benefit
is easing Nautilus maintenance.

--
Regards,
Olav