[Mageia-dev] Fwd: fallback mode

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+mageia at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 6 01:53:57 CET 2012

Hi *,

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:33 AM, andre999 <andre999mga at laposte.net> wrote:
> Olav Vitters a écrit :
>> On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 06:56:55PM -0500, andre999 wrote:
>>> Olav Vitters a écrit :
>> [...]
>
> Nothing in the visual appearance of gnome3 could not be displayed
> efficiently on gnome2 on machines without hardware acceleration of display,
> so there is obviously a problem with the implementation in gnome3, at least
> up to version 3.4

Just FYI: It is not only display performance of gnome itself, but also
driver bugs that only trigger in 3d-destkop environment.

I for example have non-smooth video-playback ("stutter" when there are
pans, as if it would not display frames like "*   *   *   *   *" but
more like "*        ***  *     **". Playback is flawless in fallback
mode. Unfortunately the problem is minor after reboot, and slowly gets
worse with uptime (restarting gnome-shell using <alt>+<F2>,r,<enter>
also helps somewhat, as does using
CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling and
CLUTTER_VBLANK=True
(black magic variables found via google that help to solve all sorts
of problems (that don't occur here, like tearing), esp. don't see the
relation between vblank and the other one, as they only have an impact
when used in combination..

Long story short: performance/rendering of gnome itself is not the
actual problem, it is those little driver-bugs that can spoil the
party... (I had created a separate account with gnome-fallback just
for the usecase of watching videos - don't use that for regular
watching anymore, but still when I need to check videos for
encoding/playback errors)

ciao
Christian