[Mageia-dev] Fwd: fallback mode

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Nov 6 10:01:33 CET 2012

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 07:33:43PM -0500, andre999 wrote:
> Olav Vitters a écrit :
> >On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 06:56:55PM -0500, andre999 wrote:
> >>Olav Vitters a écrit :
> >
> >This discussion has been held various times before. Please read the wiki
> >link. The reason I'm forwarding the email is to get feedback about the
> >impact on Mageia.
> >
> For the impact on Mageia, I think that depends entirely on how they
> deal with the display performance issue.  Gnome3 should display
> efficiently on hardware without accelerated display, particularly
> for text display.  Software emulation of hardware acceleration
> should only be used where strictly necessary.

In case the drivers are not good enough, GNOME 3 will be unusable.
Something that another distribution brought up is that ideally something
like that should be detected during installation, so that this can be
taken into account up-front.

> It might be useful to migrate gnome3 to fallback mode, instead of
> the inverse.  That is, modify fallback mode so that it can perform
> all the functions now in regular gnome3, including using hardware
> acceleration of display where available.  Thus using the current
> regular gnome3 as a testing ground for development of the current
> fallback mode.

I again suggest to read the wiki page for the issues with fallback mode.

--
Regards,
Olav