[Mageia-dev] Fwd: fallback mode

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Fri Nov 9 02:11:03 CET 2012

Olav Vitters a écrit :
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 07:33:43PM -0500, andre999 wrote:
>> Olav Vitters a écrit :
>>> On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 06:56:55PM -0500, andre999 wrote:
>
> I again suggest to read the wiki page for the issues with fallback mode.

I've read the wiki page a few times.
It contains a number of suggestions for future development, which are
not entirely clear.
Certain things suggested, if implemented, might effectively transfer
fallback mode to the gnome shell.

Hopefully gnome 3.8 *will* transfer fallback mode to the gnome shell, so
that (inherently inefficient) hardware emulation is not required, and
gnome applications are more readily maintained in both modes.
That would solve the major problem with gnome3.

The accelerated mode could be the default for video hardware with
adequate capability, but even there, it should be an option.

The remaining gnome3 problems will probably be solved before 3.8.
(e.g. gtk+2 themes not working properly if at all in gtk+3, used by gnome3.)

We should also consider any side-effects on other desktops which use
gnome components.

--
André