[Mageia-dev] Mageia-dev Digest, Vol 27, Issue 85

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Tue Nov 27 02:57:03 CET 2012

Joseph Wang a écrit :
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:51 PM, <mageia-dev-request at mageia.org
> <mailto:mageia-dev-request at mageia.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hmm, have you missed that there will be no Cinnamon in Mageia repos?
>     Part of packagers "job" is to keep eye on the dev ml.
>

> Maybe I'll stay on for another day or so.  I've been using
> Mageia/Mandriva for years,

Like probably most of us here.  And we are all volonteers.

> I have a dozen or so packages in the queue.  I've been working with the
> Fedora
> to get a python to rpm conversion script working, and I have about a dozen
> python packages that are ready to be uploaded.  I'm interested in
> creating a first
> rate platform for astronomy.  I've got ds9 working.  I've packaged
> glamor, and I've
> gotten an open source ati driver working for Radeonsi.  I want to start
> packaging heavy duty astrophysics code on Mageia.

These are contributions that will be appreciated now.

The problem with Cinnamon, as Colin and others have stated, is that the
overhead of having something as big as that is a lot more than just
packaging.  Even the pure packaging part takes a lot of time, as you
have pointed out, not counting the bugs of something being newly
developed.  For something like that we would need to be assured of
longer term support.  Something we haven't the ressources for at the moment.
Note that this has been discussed many times on this list in the past,
before you got involved.  So Cinnamon will have to wait, but I suspect
that it could be doable in the future.  (I'd like to try it out myself.)

Regards :)

--
André