[Mageia-dev] Network-manager secret storage

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Oct 10 11:15:49 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Guillaume Rousse at 10/10/12 08:35 did gyre and gimble:
> I'm a bit puzzled to discover than network-manager stores its
> connections configuration both under
> /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ and as legacy ifcfg files under
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. Given than both are available
> system-wise (by opposition to an user home directory), I don't
> understand the purpose of such split.
>
> Moreover, in both cases, secrets are stored in plain-text... I was quite
> convinced than gnome keyring was supposed to be used, at least for
> user-specific connections. Am I completly wrong ?

I don't know as I've not looked super closely, but I think the keeping
of them in /etc/sysconfig/ folders is likely related to the add-on
scripts in NM, rather than anything specific.

I would obviously prefer if the details were kept in a keyring of some
sort, but again I've not looked too closely.

COl