[Mageia-dev] Deprecating pm-utils

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Oct 18 00:53:12 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 17/10/12 23:49 did gyre and gimble:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:36:47AM +0200, Olivier Blin wrote:
>> It does not seem to provide a replacement for pm-suspend-hybrid.
>
> That will likely be in a newer systemd once they figured out what to
> call it.

Yeah being discussed now. As this is now in-kernel as of 3.6, systemd
will support this within a very short time frame.

>> And what about all the hooks that used to be run by pm-utils?
>> How will they be run now?

Not 100% sure but as mentioned in another thread I think many of the
quirks are likely outdated. Certainly graphical quirks that used to be
present on my hardware have not been needed for many years since KMS
came along. So this is likely an opportunity to tidy it up and get rid
of the kruft.

But overall some of the quirks are likely still needed, so I've started
a discussion upstream with a view to gathering feedback from how other
distros are planning to handle this.