[Mageia-dev] Deprecating pm-utils

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Thu Oct 18 22:06:47 CEST 2012

Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> writes:

> 'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 17/10/12 23:49 did gyre and gimble:
>> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:36:47AM +0200, Olivier Blin wrote:
>>> It does not seem to provide a replacement for pm-suspend-hybrid.
>>
>> That will likely be in a newer systemd once they figured out what to
>> call it.
>
> Yeah being discussed now. As this is now in-kernel as of 3.6, systemd
> will support this within a very short time frame.

Is it equivalent?
Can the kernel hibernate support write a compressed and encrypted image to swap?
Does it allow showing a splash for suspend progress?

>>> And what about all the hooks that used to be run by pm-utils?
>>> How will they be run now?
>
> Not 100% sure but as mentioned in another thread I think many of the
> quirks are likely outdated. Certainly graphical quirks that used to be
> present on my hardware have not been needed for many years since KMS
> came along. So this is likely an opportunity to tidy it up and get rid
> of the kruft.
>
> But overall some of the quirks are likely still needed, so I've started
> a discussion upstream with a view to gathering feedback from how other
> distros are planning to handle this.

That's not only about video quirks.
This one is required to forbid messing with the suspend image in swap by
rebooting in another kernel:
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/01bootloader

There may be some other useful ones, notifying apps about resume, like:
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/95packagekit

--
Olivier Blin - blino