[Mageia-dev] Deprecating pm-utils

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Oct 22 16:38:53 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olivier Blin at 18/10/12 21:06 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> writes:
>
>> 'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 17/10/12 23:49 did gyre and gimble:
>>>
>>> That will likely be in a newer systemd once they figured out what to
>>> call it.
>>
>> Yeah being discussed now. As this is now in-kernel as of 3.6, systemd
>> will support this within a very short time frame.
>
> Is it equivalent?
> Can the kernel hibernate support write a compressed and encrypted image to swap?
> Does it allow showing a splash for suspend progress?

I'm not 100% sure on all the implementation specifics here so I won't
pretend otherwise.

I'd hope that as a blessed kernel implementation that it would be clever
and sensible here, but who knows!

>> Not 100% sure but as mentioned in another thread I think many of the
>> quirks are likely outdated. Certainly graphical quirks that used to be
>> present on my hardware have not been needed for many years since KMS
>> came along. So this is likely an opportunity to tidy it up and get rid
>> of the kruft.
>>
>> But overall some of the quirks are likely still needed, so I've started
>> a discussion upstream with a view to gathering feedback from how other
>> distros are planning to handle this.
>
> That's not only about video quirks.

Yeah, so the video quirks should be mostly useless now.

I spoke to some Arch and Fedora folks and they've all had very few
issues with the switch in this regard.

See reply to my upstream question here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.systemd.devel/6937

> This one is required to forbid messing with the suspend image in swap by
> rebooting in another kernel:
> /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/01bootloader

I'm not sure of this one specifically - will try and clarify.

> There may be some other useful ones, notifying apps about resume, like:
> /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/95packagekit

Yeah those kind of ones should just be migrated I think.