[Mageia-dev] Real Time Kernel version

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 12:52:20 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Thomas Backlund <tmb at mageia.org> wrote:
> Jehan Pagès skrev 16.9.2012 21:20:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a question. Is there a reason why the Real Time version of the
>> kernel is always under the desktop version?
>> I just checked and installed both the last desktop kernel and rt
>> kernel from Cauldron here:
>>
>> ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64/media/core/release/
>> Kernel desktop is 3.5.3 but Real Time is 3.4.9.
>>

> That's because upstream -rt project is only tracking -longterm kernels
>
> so currently 3.0, 3.2 and 3.4
>
> https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

I see. That's interesting. I have some reading to do on this wiki. :-)

>> My main problem is that the support of the Wacom Intuos 5 tablet
>> exists only since the Kernel 3.5. I just tested on Mageia 2 (normal
>> one, I only installed the new kernels from Cauldron). It works with
>> the desktop kernel 3.5.3, not with the 3.4.9 rt kernel.
>

> Well, Mga2 will get upgraded to 3.4 longterm kernel soon, so maybe
> we should look into backporting the Intuos 5 tablet support to
> 3.4 series... then I could add it to the -rt kernel too.

That would be awesome. I checked the diff of the 3.5 kernel, and
grep-ed for intuos 5 code, there does not seem to be *that* much.
If ever you do it, a big big thank you!

>> So that would be nice to support a 3.5 real time kernel in Mageia 3. :-)
>

> Well, there is no decision what the release kernel for mga3 will be yet,
> but I assume something like 3.7-3.9... depending of upstream kernel.org
> releases... and no idea what version -rt will support by then....

I see. If the desktop is a 3.7, I guess the rt would be at least
3.5... hopefully.

Anyway if you were to upgrade Mga2 to 3.4 with backported Intuos 5,
that would already be the must-of. Intuos 5 has been out for like 6
month, and most people on most distribution probably think that there
is still no Linux support, whereas in fact it is already pretty well
supported!
I am playing with it since yesterday and that all works well until now.

Thanks for the answer and the information.

Jehan