[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 final set of isos

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Wed Sep 19 10:31:13 CEST 2012

Anne Nicolas skrev 19.9.2012 10:40:
> Hi there
>
> So here is the discussion about what isos we should keep or have for
> final release. We had several (many!) proposals on that topics and we
> need to take some decisions.
>
> Here are some prerequisites I can see for what I can read in comments
> and review about Mageia on the web.
>
> - provide a full open source software version
> - provide CD iso(s) so that it can be quick to download (people having
> low band-width or paying depending how much they use it)

> - provide live version(s)

I'd suggest for livecds:
2 liveCDs:
- 1 GNOME 700M i586 - english only - for FOSDEM & co
- 1 KDE   700M i586 - english only - for FOSDEM & co
4 liveDVDs:
- 1 GNOME DVD i586   - all locales-*
- 1 GNOME DVD x86_64 - all locales-*
- 1 KDE   DVD i586   - all locales-*
- 1 KDE   DVD x86_64 - all locales-*

Question...
do we need to provide XFCE (or LXDE) for those that does not like
the GNOME/KDE bloat (and "phone/pad" gui) ?

> - decrease isos number. QA is just a hell on the set we had for Mageia 2

Doing 2 livecds & 4 livecds would drop live isos from 16 -> 6

> - provide localization as large as possible

liveDVDs would carry all langs...
Install DVDs already carry most (all?) langs

> - provide isos including major drivers including proprietary one to make
> it easier to install and configure

liveCDs/DVDs already does...

for "normal install" DVDs I guess we need to add nonfree firmwares
to the isos in separate media with an option to enable/use them in
the install phase as some hw need it to actually work.
(IIRC tv had something like this in progress)

--

Thomas