[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 final set of isos

Thorsten van Lil tvl83 at gmx.de
Wed Sep 19 10:27:03 CEST 2012

Am 19.09.2012 09:40, schrieb Anne Nicolas:
> Hi there
>
> So here is the discussion about what isos we should keep or have for
> final release. We had several (many!) proposals on that topics and we
> need to take some decisions.
>
> Here are some prerequisites I can see for what I can read in comments
> and review about Mageia on the web.
>
> - provide a full open source software version
> - provide CD iso(s) so that it can be quick to download (people having
> low band-width or paying depending how much they use it)
> - provide live version(s)
> - decrease isos number. QA is just a hell on the set we had for Mageia 2
> - provide localization as large as possible
> - provide isos including major drivers including proprietary one to make
> it easier to install and configure

Here is my proposal:
2 DVDs (32 and 64 bit)
2 LiveCDs KDE (32/64 bit)
2 LiveCDs GNOME (32/64 bit)
2 USB KDE (32/64 bit) ~1GB large (same as LiveCDs but with all languages)
2 USB GNOME (32/64 bit) ~1GB large (same as LiveCDs but with all languages)
1 dual arch CD
-------
11 ISOs instead of 19 (the current state)

Explanation:
Only 2 LiveCDs per DE: Just put the most used languages or maybe only
English on it. LiveCDs are usefull to check if everything is supported
and bugfree or as a rescue system. This can be done with english as
well. If you install the LiveCD a language selection could be used to
download the preferred language.

4 USB Images:
Nearly the same as the LiveCDs but as an USB-Image. So we are more
flexible with the size of the ISOs. I guess ~1GB is usefull, as you can
put all languages on it but is still small enough for a quick download
or for restricted bandwidth ...

2 DVDs as it it now

If we try to focus on USB-Images, we may get rid of the 64bit LiveCD Images.

Regards,
Thorsten