[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 final set of isos

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 20 13:13:45 CEST 2012

2012/9/20 Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org>:
> On 20/09/12 11:19, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>>
>> This is the reason why over here nobody thinks of abandoning the
>> cover media. Quite to the opposite as I learned from a conversation
>> with a chief editor earlier this year. Cover media are very popular
>> because they cater to the needs of people with slow net access.
>
> Yes, I suspect that this need will be very variable, geographically.

Says a resident in the UK with superfast internet for everybody. :)

> Something apparently for nothing is always attractive to many, but the
> eco lobby is becoming increasingly important.  I'm not advocating
> dropping the media disks for now, just being aware that the situation
> needs to be watched for the future.

Well, for computer magazines it's not "for nothing". The popular
magazines are coming in 2 flavors, one with cover media, the other
without. Guess which is cheaper.

> Irrelevant to this discussion, but I feel increasingly guilty about
> disposing of frequent "bumper *buntu distro" disks.  Since I subscribe
> the several magazines they have been coming in threes.  That's a lot
> of disks in a year.

That is the reason I stopped subscribing years ago. I only buy a
magazine if I am interested in an article or I want the cover media.
So I don't feel guilty.

Anyhow, I don't think that this part of the discussion even has an
impact on cover media. As long as we have a live DVD or CD (with
German language) the German magazines will get what they need (this
goes for all other countries as well).

--
wobo