[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 final set of isos

Donald Stewart watersnowrock at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 13:42:26 CEST 2012

On 20 September 2012 12:13, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2012/9/20 Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org>:
>> On 20/09/12 11:19, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>>>
>>> This is the reason why over here nobody thinks of abandoning the
>>> cover media. Quite to the opposite as I learned from a conversation
>>> with a chief editor earlier this year. Cover media are very popular
>>> because they cater to the needs of people with slow net access.
>>
>> Yes, I suspect that this need will be very variable, geographically.
>
> Says a resident in the UK with superfast internet for everybody. :)

While I don't buy magazines as *I* can download any of the iso easily
at uni, if I am away and wanted the disks then it would be something
that would greatly appeal to me.
The statement that the uk has superfast internet for all isn't
accurate, at the present the uk still contains Scotland.

>> Something apparently for nothing is always attractive to many, but the
>> eco lobby is becoming increasingly important.  I'm not advocating
>> dropping the media disks for now, just being aware that the situation
>> needs to be watched for the future.
>
> Well, for computer magazines it's not "for nothing". The popular
> magazines are coming in 2 flavors, one with cover media, the other
> without. Guess which is cheaper.
>
>> Irrelevant to this discussion, but I feel increasingly guilty about
>> disposing of frequent "bumper *buntu distro" disks.  Since I subscribe
>> the several magazines they have been coming in threes.  That's a lot
>> of disks in a year.
>
> That is the reason I stopped subscribing years ago. I only buy a
> magazine if I am interested in an article or I want the cover media.
> So I don't feel guilty.
>
> Anyhow, I don't think that this part of the discussion even has an
> impact on cover media. As long as we have a live DVD or CD (with
> German language) the German magazines will get what they need (this
> goes for all other countries as well).
>
> --
> wobo

Shipping a pure free flavour is appealing, however, I feel that it
doesn't warrent a disk by itself, perhaps an option to not install non
free software on the dvd.

The number of live cds does need to be minimized, I also agree with
the proposal to have 4, 2 Gnome, 2 for KDE. The other environments
could surely be done by the *community* and therefore be onofficial
and not require the full qa.