[Mageia-dev] what's the purpose of this list ?

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Wed Apr 3 15:04:29 CEST 2013

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013, Oliver Burger wrote:

> I do think it is important to have contact addresses. Not only mailing
> lists, you have to subscribe.
> It's the only way to get questions and feedback from people who only have a
> simple question or feedback to give and don't want to subscribe an ml for
> that which they would have to unsubscribe again after they get the answer
> they are interested in.
> The only question - as I see it - is, who should get those mails?
> And I think the best idea is for the whole teams in question to get them
> because otherwise you will have to find someone with too much time on his
> hands.
>
> And by the way, just to state a number about the incoming traffic using
> this mail address
> All in all I found 5 - in words FIVE - threads in my gmail account, which
> were addressed to the packagers@ address, including an mail from bugzilla
> about a bug report complaining about the many mails, the contributor gets
> that way...

That's 5 in a short time, with none of them with a good reason to be
sent privatly to packagers instead of on the mailing list or forum.

It also exclude from discussions the people who are subscribed to the
mailing list, but not officially packagers.

In my opinion we should keep the packagers at group alias for rare emails
when we need to reach all packagers for something important only, and
it should not be used to replace the mailing list.