[Mageia-dev] [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Wed Feb 6 13:02:52 CET 2013

> 'Twas brillig, and Anne Nicolas at 06/02/13 08:43 did gyre and gimble:
>> There was a discussion yesterday evening in packager meeting about what
>> we should do with rsyslog. It's needed for upgrade from Mageia 2. But
>> journalctl is now installed by default.
>>
>> Is there some requirement for systemd ? Shall we have both installed? We
>> need an answer to deal with upgrade and isos
[...]

I'm afraid it might not be as easy as anyone would think:

1. journald does not do UDP remote syslogging, according to lennart at his
talk at FOSDEM?

==> this means old syslog shouldn't be obsoleted

2. it appears it also doesn't fill tty12 with info as rsyslog does

==> if true, and not fixable, then i would still suggest to have both.