[Mageia-dev] [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Feb 6 13:15:07 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and AL13N at 06/02/13 12:02 did gyre and gimble:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Anne Nicolas at 06/02/13 08:43 did gyre and gimble:
>>> There was a discussion yesterday evening in packager meeting about what
>>> we should do with rsyslog. It's needed for upgrade from Mageia 2. But
>>> journalctl is now installed by default.
>>>
>>> Is there some requirement for systemd ? Shall we have both installed? We
>>> need an answer to deal with upgrade and isos
> [...]
>
> I'm afraid it might not be as easy as anyone would think:
>
> 1. journald does not do UDP remote syslogging, according to lennart at his
> talk at FOSDEM?
>
> ==> this means old syslog shouldn't be obsoleted
>
> 2. it appears it also doesn't fill tty12 with info as rsyslog does
>
> ==> if true, and not fixable, then i would still suggest to have both.

Oh, for the avoidance of doubt, I don't think there is any argument that
would suggest the removal from the repositories or obsoletion of rsyslog
or syslog-ng etc.

There are perfectly valid reasons to have rsyslog et al installed and I
do not envisage us removing this possibility.

The only question (in my mind) is whether we should always require
disk-based journal logging (and document how to keep that small if the
user so desires) or whether we should allow the option to disable
persistent journal logging completely.

For me I'd rather go the former which allows us to provide a tool that
looks in one place for debug info rather than aggregate data lots of
separate files. But as I said in my other message, I'm not totally
married to that idea.