[Mageia-dev] [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl

David Walser luigiwalser at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 19:28:17 CET 2013

Colin Guthrie <mageia at ...> writes:
> Oh, for the avoidance of doubt, I don't think there is any argument that
> would suggest the removal from the repositories or obsoletion of rsyslog
> or syslog-ng etc.

I agree, and that's consistent with what you've said in the past.  I thought
it was odd that the idea of obsoleting them came up yesterday in the packager
meeting, but it did.  The main reason was wanting to know if rsyslog should
still be on the DVD, in case of users using it to upgrade from Mageia 2.

It may be the case that not upgrading that particular package during the DVD
upgrade won't *break* anything and it can just be upgraded after the system
is booted and urpmi sources are added, in which case it doesn't *need* to be
on the DVD.  Otherwise, we should make sure it's on there.