[Mageia-dev] [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Feb 7 14:30:46 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Guillaume Rousse at 07/02/13 12:20 did gyre and gimble:
> Le 07/02/2013 12:40, AL13N a écrit :
>>> 'Twas brillig, and David Walser at 06/02/13 18:28 did gyre and gimble:
>> [...]
>>> What I guess we could to to avoid putting rsyslog on the physical media
>>> would be to put a versioned conflicts in the main systemd package with
>>> rsyslog and syslog-ng. Thus the old packages should be removed when
>>> upgrading (AIUI).
>>
>> not a really good idea imho, i have a server which uses rsyslog for
>> network remote syslogging... so upgrading that would break this.
> Indeed.
>
> Just because journal is installed (no choice here) shouldn't prevent to
> install a real syslog-daemon. I'd rather introduce another virtual
> package, such as syslog-daemon-minimal (or anything else), and lower the
> dependencies of basesystem to just require this last one.

I'm not really sure what that gains... i.e. that's that's effectively
what we have right now with the current provides of syslog-daemon via
systemd itself.

Arguably the semantics are wrong... e.g. it should really be called
"system-logger" or something more generic.

But as things stand you no longer *need* to install rsyslog et al - it's
just an option. And as things stand right now, if rsyslog is included in
the media it will be upgraded happily and keep on running.