[Mageia-dev] Gnome mess in Mageia SVN...

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 25 01:57:33 CET 2013

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, Sebastian wrote:

>> Not to mention there is serious doubts the the 3.8.0 release
>> will be good enough to work properly for all endusers when the
>> fallback is dropped, so it would need atleast a update to 3.8.x
>> as a followup later to provide something that actually works,
>> wich comes back to lack of maintainers...
>
> I don't think Mageia providing GNOME 3.8 with the new classic mode made using
> extensions, rather than the old fall back mode, would cause loads of
> problems: http://worldofgnome.org/gnome-classic-not-classic-all/

You are not making sense, those screenshots show that these gnome-shell
extensions can't replace gnome-panel. Also, software 3D rendering is slow,
you do not want to use it in a VM. However, we may be able to keep our
"GNOME Classic" session using gnome-panel 3.6.x even with gnome 3.8. This
would have to be tested, though. Do you even use it?

Shouldn't we first fix totem, for example? It has 2 menu bars: "Videos"
and "Movie/Edit/...". Then, audio files stop playing after 1 second when
"visual effects" are enabled. 5.1 channel audio also doesn't work right,
but the same happens in parole (vlc and mplayer do proper downmixing).

Finally, totem can't play WMA files because of ffmpeg 1.1. I have a fix
for that ready (update gstreamer1.0-libav to git HEAD) but maybe I need to
worry about gnome 3.8 instead. Such an update at this time should be done
properly: packaged and tested on the packager's machine first, and only
when it all works committed to svn and uploaded. But even then we will
likely find new problems that need to be fixed before release.

     Christiaan