[Mageia-dev] Gnome mess in Mageia SVN...

Sebastian sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Mon Feb 25 04:44:25 CET 2013

On 25/02/13 00:57, Christiaan Welvaart wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, Sebastian wrote:
>
>>> Not to mention there is serious doubts the the 3.8.0 release
>>> will be good enough to work properly for all endusers when the
>>> fallback is dropped, so it would need atleast a update to 3.8.x
>>> as a followup later to provide something that actually works,
>>> wich comes back to lack of maintainers...
>>
>> I don't think Mageia providing GNOME 3.8 with the new classic mode
>> made using extensions, rather than the old fall back mode, would
>> cause loads of problems:
>> http://worldofgnome.org/gnome-classic-not-classic-all/
>
> You are not making sense, those screenshots show that these
> gnome-shell extensions can't replace gnome-panel.
I provided that link to give people an idea what the GNOME Classic Mode
was about, who didn't really know anything about it or as such. I think
these are better at explaining about GNOME Classic Mode:
http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2013/01/25/gnome-3-7-at-the-halfway-mark/
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/a-quick-look-at-new-gnome-classic.html
https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointSeven/Features/DropOrFixFallbackMode
http://lwn.net/Articles/526082/
> Also, software 3D rendering is slow, you do not want to use it in a VM.
I tried out GNOME Shell in a virtual machine first with Mageia 3 Alpha 3
or whichever milestone version had it working like that first, since
then run in someting later to like that I think, Anyway I was rather
impressed to be able to run it in VirtualBox like that :), oh and this
was on a computer with 1GB RAM. I think I might have tried out like that
on both my desktop and netbook both 1GB RAM, anyway worked well like
that for me :).  Oh sure I think it took some time to load up properly
in Virtualbox, but once done WOW :).  However of course I wasn't trying
to run Blender or 3D Games or something in the vm as well.
> However, we may be able to keep our "GNOME Classic" session using
> gnome-panel 3.6.x even with gnome 3.8. This would have to be tested,
> though.
I forgot to mention in my original email that maybe both the GNOME 3.6.2
fallback mode and the new GNOME Classic mode could be used in Mageia 3.
> Do you even use it?
I have used the fallback mode quite a few times,  in Mageia, and even
the Ubuntu 12.10 GNOME Remix, however by choice I tend to run GNOME
Shell, if I am able to on the computer :).  As for this new GNOME
classic mode, no I have not used that yet.

> Shouldn't we first fix totem, for example? It has 2 menu bars:
> "Videos" and "Movie/Edit/...". Then, audio files stop playing after 1
> second when "visual effects" are enabled. 5.1 channel audio also
> doesn't work right, but the same happens in parole (vlc and mplayer do
> proper downmixing).
Personally if I am watching video on the computer it's usualy Flash
video on websites. If I am playing video in a player though, well then
that's what I am doing, I don't really care much about fancy features
when playing video, I just want my video to work picture and audio :).
Also when I do use players I tend not to use Totem, well depends.

> Finally, totem can't play WMA files because of ffmpeg 1.1. I have a
> fix for that ready (update gstreamer1.0-libav to git HEAD)
Uhmm I thought it coudn't play WMA unless the correct codec is used
since it's a proprietary format?
> but maybe I need to worry about gnome 3.8 instead. Such an update at
> this time should be done properly: packaged and tested on the
> packager's machine first, and only when it all works committed to svn
> and uploaded.
Yep that sounds good to me, have it properly done on the packagers
machine first, then have it uploaded, if this update is going to happen.
> But even then we will likely find new problems that need to be fixed
> before release.
Well possibly/probably sure, but since Mageia 3 is now delayed to May
3rd, that should give QA enough time to test it :).