[Mageia-dev] A question about BuildRequires and other RPM questions.

Robert Wood robert.wood at apostrophe.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 12:55:49 CET 2013

I'm having a go at building an RPM. I have managed to compile this
particular piece of software on my laptop under Open SuSE, but would
like to compile on my desktop and thought it would be a really good idea
to finally have a proper go at building RPMs.

So, I'm ploughing through the tutorials and one thing I can't work out
is just how to comprehensively list all the BuildRequires. I seem to
remember when I compiled it on SuSE it had a couple of dependencies such
as boot-devel and I suppose I could compile it on my machine and see
what  it requests, but I assume that is no good if another machine tries
to install the RPM and I don't list one of the dependencies because it
happened to be installed on my machine.

Make sense?!

So, how do I make a list of that please?

Also, I tried taking kwrite as an example, downloaded the .src RPM from
a website (couldn't work out the wget thing) and managed to "blindly"
build the RPM. That lists as shed load of files, mostly libraries that
are needed. Again, how do I find these for this particular package? Do I
need to compile first and use a tool that extracts all this information
somehow?

I'm wondering whether there's a very simple, hello world find of spec
file somewhere I could look at. I'm not convinced kwrite was the best
example to take.

Thanks.