[Mageia-dev] A question about BuildRequires and other RPM questions.

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 15:25:41 CET 2013

Le 28/02/2013 12:55, Robert Wood a écrit :
> So, how do I make a list of that please?
There is not much choice, beside building from a specified build
environment, which is usually the minimal installation for your target
distribution + rpmbuild. Most distributions use dedicated systems to
automatically deploy such clean environment before eac package build
attempt (iurt, mock, etc...).

> Also, I tried taking kwrite as an example, downloaded the .src RPM from
> a website (couldn't work out the wget thing) and managed to "blindly"
> build the RPM. That lists as shed load of files, mostly libraries that
> are needed. Again, how do I find these for this particular package? Do I
> need to compile first and use a tool that extracts all this information
> somehow?
Build dependencies are usually specified in installation instructions.
For humans, of course. You may also try to parse the outpout of
./configure (or equivalent) script. In both case, there is not garanty
then every build dependency will get specified.

--
BOFH excuse #257:

That would be because the software doesn't work.