[Mageia-dev] A question about BuildRequires and other RPM questions.

Robert Wood robert.wood at apostrophe.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 16:43:22 CET 2013

On 28/02/13 14:25, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> There is not much choice, beside building from a specified build
> environment, which is usually the minimal installation for your target
> distribution + rpmbuild. Most distributions use dedicated systems to
> automatically deploy such clean environment before eac package build
> attempt (iurt, mock, etc...).

So, I should maybe install a minimal install on a virtual machine? Then
when it needs packages I can add those to the dependencies list? It
strikes me the problem with that would be that once you've added a load
of packages for one RPM, then started on another, you'd be back to the
same problem as before and need to keep reinstalling Mageia for each RPM
you do. There must be a better way than that.

> Build dependencies are usually specified in installation instructions.
> For humans, of course. You may also try to parse the outpout of
> ./configure (or equivalent) script. In both case, there is not garanty
> then every build dependency will get specified.

It sounds like there is a load of trial and error then? I am sure I must
misunderstand, building reliable RPMs must be a relatively
straightforward thing once you're up and running surely?