[Mageia-dev] how to NFS+PXE

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Sun Jan 6 23:54:22 CET 2013

Op vrijdag 4 januari 2013 10:08:04 schreef AL13N:
> Op donderdag 3 januari 2013 22:14:51 schreef AL13N:
> [...]

after the rpm database issue i redid to make sure urpmi can run locally AND
network actually works.

a quick refresh:

[ ]# urpmi.addmedia --urpmi-root /chroot/mga3 --distrib
http://127.0.0.1/mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64
[ ]# vi /chroot/mga3/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg # to disable updates and add nonfree
and tainted
[ ]# urpmi.update -a --urpmi-root /chroot/mga3
[ ]# urpmi --no-suggests --urpmi-root /chroot/mga3 basesystem-minimal locales-
en locales-nl urpmi
[ ]# urpmi --no-suggests --urpmi-root /chroot/mga3 dhcp-client iptables
radeon-firmware nfs-utils dracut vim-enhanced openssh-server # needed for later
[ ]# vi /chroot/mga3/etc/dracut.conf.d/50-mageia.conf # remove network and add
nfs drivers
[ ]# urpmi --no-suggests --urpmi-root /chroot/mga3 kernel-desktop-latest
[ ]# urpmi --no-suggests --urpmi-root /chroot/mga3 plymouth mageia-theme-
[ ]# rm /chroot/mga3/boot/initrd-3.7.1-desktop-1.mga3.img
[ ]# urpmi --replacepkgs --no-suggests --urpmi-root /chroot/mga3 kernel-
desktop-3.7.1

it appears the background is gone, did i make an error somewhere? i expected
the plymouth to work better, now that the radeon firmware is present...

in any case, next steps:

> - setting fstab correctly

i set the / first, then /proc; and then the other nfs mount points

however, after booting, i notice this:

[ ]# systemctl status systemd-remount-fs.service
systemd-remount-fs.service - Remount Root and Kernel File Systems
          Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-remount-fs.service;
static)
          Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat, 2013-01-05 08:33:13
UTC; 13min ago
            Docs: man:systemd-remount-fs.service(8)
         Process: 511 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-remount-fs
(code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/systemd-remount-fs.service

Jan 05 08:33:13 localhost systemd[1]: Starting Remount Root and Kernel File
Systems...
Jan 05 08:33:13 localhost systemd[1]: systemd-remount-fs.service: main process
exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jan 05 08:33:13 localhost systemd[1]: Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel
File Systems.
Jan 05 08:33:13 localhost systemd[1]: Unit systemd-remount-fs.service entered
failed state

no clue as to what i going on... is it because it was mounted rw directly? and
now it's rw too? no idea, it's no script and there's no info about it.

>  - set a root password + regular user

[ ]# chroot /chroot/mga3 passwd
[ ]# chroot /chroot/mga3 useradd foo
[ ]# chroot /chroot/mga3 passwd foo

>  - install a dm (kdm)

after locally starting sshd.service, i login remotely and use the following to
do task-kde4 and still skip some stuff

originally, it was 2GB and 2000+ packages, with all the skip, i get 1GB and
~800 packages:

[ ]# urpmi --skip libpulseaudio0,libalsa-plugins-pulseaudio,kde4-irc-
client,phonon-gstreamer,lib64gstreamer1.0-pulse,lib64gstreamer0.10-pulse,gst-
install-plugins-helper,digikam,dragon,system-config-printer,msec-gui,task-kde4-
handbooks,kaccessible,kdegames4,jovie,kamera,kgamma,ksnapshot,kmag,kmouth,kdegraphics-
strigi-analyzer,kmousetool,kruler,nepomuk,kontact,plasma-krunner-
nepomuk,kactivitymanagerd-nepomuk-plugin,kdepim4,cagibi,telepathy-presence-
applet,telepathy-kde-presence-applet,rfkill,wireless-tools,gnome-
keyring,amarok,krfb,kopete,kppp,kget,krdc,kde4-filesharing,kipi-plugins --
prefer pinentry-qt4,phonon-xine,plasma-applet-kimpanel-backend-ibus task-kde4

this took quite a while... i believe that again, i have some sort of weird
slowness, that i've been experiencing since i upgraded the nfs server to
mageia2, will need to check this later.

rebooting didn't start kdm, but then i didn't expect it. will likely need to
do that with the MCC.

i did drakconf and selected display manager and start X on startup, then
removed xguest, and rebooted

>  - try to do some autoconfiguring that happens during install (i forgot, but
> i think a tool somewhere exists in drakxtools) (that should set the
> keyboard to azerty too)

I'm installing MCC completely, so that i can use the MCC to configure all
hardware. (considering the previous step, drakconf is already mostly
installed)

went to deviceinfo on MCC
then set keyboard on MCC
then set autologin on MCC

- LCD panel
[ ]# urpmi lcdproc
[ ]# vi /etc/lcdproc/LCDd.conf
- wiimote
[ ]# urpmi cwiid

i also noticed some weird displaying artefacts, so i also installed kde4-
oxygen-transparent, unsure if it actually helped

>  - install plasma-applet-launchbutton

installed, i copied over my images and settings

>  - configure autologin

used MCC for this

>  - use the nfsmounts which have all my media

fix the /etc/fstab and make the paths

there is a remote-fs error going on.

systemctl enable remote-fs.target seemed to work, but the first mount point
fails because lockd isn't started yet.

>  - fix the look to what i want and set up multiple launchbuttons which do
> the purposes and install the programs

for me this includes xine-ui, firefox, etc...

to be done:
>  - fix xine-ui keymap to work with the wiimote
==> i need to do some settings and then protect the file by marking it readonly
for the regular user as well (even if it's in his own homedir)
>  - fix to have dvds autoplay
==> i remember i did something for this, but i think i had to build my own
package cause this wasn't in KDE (or not yet/not anymore)
>  - fix KDE to be suitable for TV and wiimote
==> fonts larger, icons larger, drag treshold larger, single click setting
>  - find a nice dark background

my biggest issues are:
1) it would be very useful for this to have a really generic inird(without
an installer) to start from on the mirrors (in isolinux/alt0/ maybe?) 2)
how the hell does urpmi with --urpmi-root handle dracut? why does it work
like that and not chrooted?
3) why are all these nfs drivers omitted, even though i can see nothing
about this in the config files and directories? (in dracut)
4) when doing dhcp, the network fails when booting causing it to stop booting
5) nfs mount points don't work at boot time
6) cwiid didn't have a startup script (i started to make one, it's not perfect
yet)