[Mageia-dev] GRUB can't see HD from chroot unless parent /dev is bind-mounted in chroot ?

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Wed Jan 16 21:55:14 CET 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 20:48 +0100, AL13N wrote:
> Op woensdag 16 januari 2013 11:30:27 schreef Liam R E Quin:

> > Why not add a command to the rescue disk,
> > bind-mount dir - mount /dev, /proc and /sys as /dir/dev etc for chroot

> because in fact, it's not really the correct solution (and there's multiple
> solutions for this too)

Then add some documentation about how to use the mounted partitions with
chroot.

> oh well, rescuing is for advanced users, so i don't really see the need here.
> rescue should be as small as possible anyway.

Let's not be dismissive of people. If we felt that way, we'd tell
everyone to use NetBSD :-) Why is there something to install drivers
when an advanced user can look at the boot log and use modprobe?  Heck,
I've seen a live Unix (V7? BSD 4.1? I forget) kernel patched by
editing /dev/mem.

Since people sometimes do need to use chroot, it's an opportunity to
improve the rescue disk.

> i have no clue how you'd be successfull without binding; i didn't think disk
> devices were statically made anyway, at least not sdX.
I wasn't successful without binding, although there are other ways to
get access to sdX devices in the chroot'd partition.

Liam