[Mageia-dev] GRUB can't see HD from chroot unless parent /dev is bind-mounted in chroot ?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jan 16 22:17:46 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and AL13N at 16/01/13 19:48 did gyre and gimble:
> Op woensdag 16 januari 2013 11:30:27 schreef Liam R E Quin:
>> On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 16:24 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> Personally I've been bind mounting /dev, /proc and /sys for years
>>> whenever doing any rescuecd etc. stuff. Partly because I have several
>>> LVM volumes where a static /dev/ wouldn't help anyway...
>>>
>>> But bind mounting /dev has just been part of my chroot routine for as
>>> long as I remember.
>>
>> Knowing about this would have saved me several days after trying to
>> install the mageia beta (I now have it running with the
>> 3.6.5-tmb-desktop-3.mga3 kernel as the 3.8 one is broken without a fix
>> to the recursive panic problem, which is fixed upstream). It's not
>> obvious to people who don't do it often :-)
>>
>> Why not add a command to the rescue disk,
>> bind-mount dir - mount /dev, /proc and /sys as /dir/dev etc for chroot
>>
>> Liam
>
> because in fact, it's not really the correct solution (and there's multiple
> solutions for this too)
>
> A) mount --bind solution (in fact, only /dev is required) ; mount /proc and
> /sys can be done inside.

True. Tho' I've always favoured the bind mount for some unknown reason :)

> B) in fact, udev people told us for a while now, you'd better just run udev
> inside the chroot, instead of mount --bind 'ing it.

Really? I could swear Kay told me recently that it's only really
sensible to run one udevd... Hmm, will ask him again when I see him
online next.

> C) of course, udev is not inside systemd, so it appears the new way is now to
> somehow spawn a systemd process inside the chroot (maybe systemd-nspawn?)

Personally I think that's overkill.

> oh well, rescuing is for advanced users, so i don't really see the need here.
> rescue should be as small as possible anyway.

Indeedy :)