[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Barry Jackson zen25000 at zen.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 16:36:36 CET 2013

On 19/01/13 11:42, André Salaün wrote:

> So it'is a fud launched by grub2 developpers when they recommend
> installing it only on the MBR.

No not at all, done that way it is open to the filesystem moving the
files and breaking the boot. The same is apparently true in legacy, but
it rarely poses a problem.

What I am saying is that I don't see this as a limitation.

If core.img is placed in the filesystem, as is done when our grub2
(package) is installed, and if the primary bootloader can read that
filesystem (i.e. has the correct modules loaded) then it can find, read
and multiboot using that core.img.

See README.Mageia in the grub2 package.

> Since the apparition of grub2 all that is almost unclear.

Yes - documentation has not been a strong point of grub2 in the past but
it has improved dramatically in recent months.

> Lack of communication or understandability I don't know but the fact is
> that grub2 is a problem for many users.

Most of those user reports are old - many bugs have been fixed and
features have improved recently. Much bad press was caused by a nasty
bug in os-prober which broke multi-booting of legacy installations from
grub2 - it was fixed in 1.53 which was the version we originally imported.

> If we add EFI UEFI (of course not linux fault) it is a easyless
> installing one or different Gnu/linux systems than 3 years ago.

True - we do also have a grub2-efi which has had limited testing,
however I know nothing about efi :/

> But perhaps I am a stupid linux user since 13 or 14 years and I should
> have to  buy Apple product or W8 ;-)

:)