[Mageia-discuss] Community forum

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun Sep 19 15:33:42 CEST 2010

  Le 2010-09-19 09:16, William Bagwell a écrit :
> On Sunday 19 September 2010, Maurice wrote:
>>    Yes, that would be a good move, but personally I would prefer a
>> newsgroup (simply because it's more convenient), if that were
>> possible.
> I would love to see this too, but would prefer it be a private server
> newsgroup rather than a true usenet newsgroup. (One of those will happen
> as soon as someone sends a control message and there is nothing we can do
> to stop it) A private server newsgroup can be controlled in ways usenet
> groups can not be...
>
> And *this* mailing list can be gated to the newsgroup once it is up and
> running as Mailman already has a "Mail<->News gateways" built in.

Unfortunately, ISP's are in the habit of dropping Usenet access these
days. The are fewer and fewer access points to the Usenet. Sign of the
times.

There should definitely be a formal mailist and forum board under the
umbrella of the Mageia group. That way, the Mageia community will be in
charge of its own communication process rather than be at the mercy of
potential whim of mailist/forum owners. It is difficult to control and
disseminate information when you are not in control of your own
advertising tools. One just has to look at any formal foundation group
who have gone through this process.

Marc