[Mageia-discuss] Mageia Forums

vfmBOFH vfmbofh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 18:55:46 CEST 2010

2010/9/21 Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com>

> Le 2010-09-21 12:09, Tux99 a écrit :
>
>  On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, vfmBOFH wrote:
>>

>>> Similar to the (failed) mandriva assembly, huh?
>>>
>>> I think it can be a good scheme. And comes with some "extras" like
>>> localized
>>> communities can "elect" their representative on the future associaton,
>>> and
>>> turns the "central hub" in a open discuss for them. If this scheme
>>> sucess,
>>> transparency and openess of the representative's discursons are
>>> guaranteed.
>>>

>> Since vfmBOFH mentions the failed mandriva assembly, I'd like to suggest
>> to please keep the organisational structure as flat as possible.
>>
>> On the internet where everyone has equal possibilities to be informed
>> and partecipate we don't need multi-level hierarchical structures with
>> so called local community representatives that have special rights or
>> influence.
>>
>> As we just saw during the first days of Mageia, the opinion of some
>> local community representatives don't necessarily match at all with the
>> opinions of the members of their community.
>>
>> So personally I don't see any point in local community representatives
>> as decision makers. If anything they should make sure that their
>> communities are informaed by arranging translations of relevant
>> information and manage their local forums, events etc.
>>
>> Any voting on global Mageia issues should be open to everyone, there
>> should be no delegations or representations as that's not necessary on
>> the internet.
>>

> Agreed, however, that is not what we were talking about. We were talking
> about information flow of information from the outer-localized groups being
> communicated back to the main site.

I will talk about i know. In the past, blogdrake admins "probes" the
communitie's opinions to make it theirs. Then, they go to to Mandriva's
active channel (whatever) and shows it. The new scheme i see it's ony a
refined version of a good-working scheme. At least, until blogdrake's admins
communicates with mandriva...

> Having a reverse flow, in my opinion, would be a job tackled on by the
> localized groups themselves. That is to mean, if the localized group wanted
> to be informed of the goings-on at the main Mageia.org site, they would make
> arrangements themselves to translate these to their localized members.

I agree with it. And -again- the reverse flow could/must be important part
of the local representative's work.

> The main issue here, as with all large organizations, is to make sure that
> the information from the outer-limbs of Mageia makes it back to the cental
> hub point from where the decisions are made. Before making decisions on
> issues, the Mageia.org hub should have all of the pertinent feedback from
> all users (localized or not). The flow should assure this.

Again, i talk about i know: On the "assemby times" the blogdrake's admins
were the messenger between assembly and its community (in the two ways
flow). You can be sure we will do again, if neccessary, but maybe it's time
to improve the community implication using some kind of election. But the
scheme i think is valid and applicable to each local community.