[Mageia-discuss] Mageia-discuss Digest, Vol 1, Issue 80

LinuxBSDos.com finid at linuxbsdos.com
Tue Sep 21 22:58:33 CEST 2010

> Thats an important issue. Is it a legal problem?
>
> 2010/9/21 David W. Hodgins <davidwhodgins at gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:15:05 -0400, Lawrence A Fossi
>> <darkfoss at comst.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's inevitable that Mageia would be claimed on some accounts.. a quick
>>> Google turned up 1 US business 1 guy on Twitter
>>> and a second with JA-Mageia..all on page 1 of the search
>>> http://sites.google.com/site/johnwellssr/home
>>
>> Ouch! ?Is this a show stopper for the name mageia?
>> http://mageia.com/
>>
>> The domain was registered in 2001, with the ownership hidden
>> by Domains by Proxy. ?The sites.google.com, and the
>> "Recent Site Activity" link on mageia.com shows it's
>> being maintained by "John Wells Sr".
>>
>> Note that the logo consists of the site name in a stylized
>> script, with the phrase "Isn't it magic", as the "future Web
>> home for Mageia Minerals of Chassell, Michigan". ?The site
>> consists of a single page hosted on sites.google.com. ?The
>> recent activity indicates it was all created July 26th, 2010.
>>
>> While mageia.org is not the same as mageia.com, I expect
>> a lot of users are going to accidentally go to the wrong
>> site.
>>
>> Is this going to be potential legal problem?

Could be. I think the team failed to do something very basic before they
made a final decision on the name - mageia.org, mageia.com, mageia.net
mageia.eu. Maybe they did and did not think it was something to fret
about.

Hopefully it is not, but it does not look good from my end.

--
Fini Decima
http://linuxbsdos.com