[Mageia-discuss] [Cooker] Re: Re: Transparency & open invitation to a united foundation..? [Was: forking mandriva]

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Sep 21 23:33:58 CEST 2010

Le 2010-09-21 17:25, gettinther a écrit :
> I cannot fathom why Mandriva should be involved so deeply so early in
> the project life.
>
> I guess I was more expecting Mageia to plan their future first
> independently and only then approach Mandriva for a possible
> partnership on equal terms, not the other way around. I do believe
> Mageia must first decide by itself what it wants to be before pulling
> other entities.
>
> There will be always time for Mandriva, Suse, Fedora or even Debian to
> join the foundation if they so wish, no?

I agree on this point. It has now gone too far to go back now. The
Mageia project should just set itself up and then worry about this a
little later in the near future. It is obvious that there will be an
initial distro, the servers and mirrors and infrastructure is being
planned and the support has obviously reached enough critical mass now
to stand on its own.

The Mandriva-Mageia or Mageia-Mandriva relationship might be considered
and pursued perhaps at a different time in the very near future before
the fork becomes a unique Mageia distro.

It is probably not the right time now to divide the group and lose the
focus on organizing the infrastructure and hardware.

Marc