[Mageia-discuss] Mageia Forums

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 23:11:36 CEST 2010

Op dinsdag 21 september 2010 20:02:02 schreef Wolfgang Bornath:
> 2010/9/21 Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org>:
> > On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> >
> > I can perfectly understand the reasons why that's the case when the
> > developers are full-time employees and do the work as a job, but this
> > shouldn't and mustn't be the case in a non-profit community project
> > where everyone is in it for the fun.
> >
> > In this scenario devs are normally users themselves too, and even for
> > their own satisfaction it should be natural that they at least
> > occasionally check user reactions to what they develop, by spending some
> > time on forums (at least reading through them).
>
> That's a very idealistic point of view and I'd really like to read a
> developper's opinion on that. Because IIRC it was really a free
> developper who told me that developpers do not need users because they
> are developping for their own needs in the first place (I reasoned
> that users and developpers are needing each other as 2 parts in a
> shared system). And it was another who told me that he'd rather spend
> his time working on a problem than reading all that user stuff in the
> forums. No employees!
>
> But I wish you were right.

I would say, that is correct.

as a developer, i do not need users (some devs do), i scratch my own back. and
i don't like reading user comments either, but otoh, i am willing to
compromise a bit to give my program a broader audience, and that's why a bug
tracker is a good idea. also for mentioning improvements.

and also having some contacts with leaders of community sites, sometimes they
can summarize stuff for you.