[Mageia-discuss] origin of the name "mageia"?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Sep 21 23:16:07 CEST 2010

Le 2010-09-21 14:37, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2010/9/21 Maurice Batey<maurice at bcs.org.uk>:
>>
>> Well, different languages have different ways of saying things, so
>> does it really matter?
>>    "Paris" in the UK sounds different from 'Paris' in  France.
>> Vive la difference....
>   Well, I try to pronounce names in foreign languages as the people
> there do it because they gave the names in their language and the
> names get their meaning only in that language. I hate being called by
> my name with English prononciation because it is not an English name.
> Same I do with English names, what would you say if I pronounced some
> English or American city name with German prononciation? Nice example
> is Worcester. In German that would be _War_ (like the word 'war") and
> _cester_ like the part "Chester" in Chesterfield. Together:
> "War-chester" :)

Maybe we could just accept the fact that it could be pronounced
differently, adopt the official Mageia pronunciation edict on the Wiki
and just go with it? It obviously reminds most of us of the "Linux"
pronunciation debate ... which is still left unresolved but, quite
frankly, inconsequential.

Marc