[Mageia-discuss] [Cooker] Re: Re: Transparency & open invitation to a united foundation..? [Was: forking mandriva]

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Wed Sep 22 04:01:32 CEST 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, gettinther wrote:

> I cannot fathom why Mandriva should be involved so deeply so early in
> the project life.
>
> I guess I was more expecting Mageia to plan their future first
> independently and only then approach Mandriva for a possible
> partnership on equal terms, not the other way around. I do believe
> Mageia must first decide by itself what it wants to be before pulling
> other entities.
>
> There will be always time for Mandriva, Suse, Fedora or even Debian to
> join the foundation if they so wish, no?

I have just read through the whole debate/argument on cooker with the
Mandriva CEO and I must say that if anything it has confirmed to me that
the fork was the right thing to do.

Yes, Mageia would benefit in some ways from a partnership with Mandriva
since Mandriva would provide the servers/hosting/bandwidth but the cost
to pay in terms of dependence would be unacceptable.

Comparing a potential Mageia/Mandriva partnership with Fedora/Redhat is
laughable since Mandriva is absolutely not comparable to Redhat (a solid
profit making company that understands the value of the community).

I hope Mageia proceeds with the plan as laid out in the original
statement on the web site, particularly the following bit:

"Mageia is a community project: it will not depend on the fate of a
particular company."

Should this objective be broken, then I won't be part of the fork
anymore (I know I won't be missed but I'm only stating my POV here).