[Mageia-discuss] [Cooker] Re: Re: Transparency & open invitation to a united foundation..? [Was: forking mandriva]

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Wed Sep 22 04:35:51 CEST 2010

> I have just read through the whole debate/argument on cooker with the
> Mandriva CEO and I must say that if anything it has confirmed to me that
> the fork was the right thing to do.
>
> Yes, Mageia would benefit in some ways from a partnership with Mandriva
> since Mandriva would provide the servers/hosting/bandwidth but the cost
> to pay in terms of dependence would be unacceptable.
>
> Comparing a potential Mageia/Mandriva partnership with Fedora/Redhat is
> laughable since Mandriva is absolutely not comparable to Redhat (a solid
> profit making company that understands the value of the community).
>
> I hope Mageia proceeds with the plan as laid out in the original
> statement on the web site, particularly the following bit:
>
> "Mageia is a community project: it will not depend on the fate of a
> particular company."
>
> Should this objective be broken, then I won't be part of the fork
> anymore (I know I won't be missed but I'm only stating my POV here).

I don't think the server space will be a big issue when reading the
offers from different individuals/companies who have offered help.

At issue would be a possible partnership/link with Mandriva which at
this point is most likely not a good time to suggest one. There should
be a cooling period and time will do wonders in cooling down opinions
and tempers.

Mageia is obviously standing on its own two feet and ready to run with
the big boys.

Mageia is a community project, and, yes, we would miss you if you left.
No problem with having difference of opinions. Difference of opinions
should not lead to family breakups. Instead, it should add a little
spice in our lives.

Marc