[Mageia-discuss] Mageia's objectives and foundations

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Fri Sep 24 18:42:23 CEST 2010

> It took something like 6 months to produce the page you gave. And Fedora people have
> also worked on this since a long time.
>
> Our project as announced less than a week ago, and there is lots of work
> to do to get basic infrastructure, answer mails and so on.
>
> So could people please start to consider that we are only human living
> in a world with 24h a day, and therefor, that everything cannot be yet written,
> and that we should rush important document like this ?

I think the biggest problem here is that for most of the people, both on
the ML and GMane, the core group individuals are still a mystery. There
is no note on any of the pages identifying the initial organisers of the
Mageia project.

If this were published and public on the mageia.org page, then there
would probably be fewer questions. In fact, I think the core group is
making it more frustrating to themselves by not communicating clearly
who is behind the organising "right at this moment". This would leave to
such comments as you have said and heard from other individuals "So
could people please ...." be patient.

The communication to the community should be clearer from the core
group. This is a necessity.

There should also be a regular representative who reports back to the
community. I think Anne is well known and respected and would be the
most logical choice for this. AND someone to replace Anne when she is
not able to do this after her working day. You need 24hrs a day
representation on the ML and GMane. I did notice that once the Europeans
are off and (obviously) at sleep, North Americans are on. You need to
find a way to service your community 24hrs/day.

Better communication with the community will quiet down a lot of the
noise on the lists. BTW ... when the lists are noisy then you know you
are alive. A quiet list is always a dreadful sign of things to come.
Having a noisy list like the Mageia list should not be something that
annoys people. It makes for a vibrant community.

Marc