[Mageia-discuss] Mageia's objectives and foundations

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Sep 24 22:10:23 CEST 2010

Le vendredi 24 septembre 2010 à 12:42 -0400, Marc Paré a écrit :
> > It took something like 6 months to produce the page you gave. And Fedora people have
> > also worked on this since a long time.
> >
> > Our project as announced less than a week ago, and there is lots of work
> > to do to get basic infrastructure, answer mails and so on.
> >
> > So could people please start to consider that we are only human living
> > in a world with 24h a day, and therefor, that everything cannot be yet written,
> > and that we should rush important document like this ?
> >

> I think the biggest problem here is that for most of the people, both on
> the ML and GMane, the core group individuals are still a mystery. There
> is no note on any of the pages identifying the initial organisers of the
> Mageia project.

Well, that was roughly a subset of the list of people in the first
announcement ( before we started to add people ).

> If this were published and public on the mageia.org page, then there
> would probably be fewer questions. In fact, I think the core group is
> making it more frustrating to themselves by not communicating clearly
> who is behind the organising "right at this moment". This would leave to
> such comments as you have said and heard from other individuals "So
> could people please ...." be patient.
>
> The communication to the community should be clearer from the core
> group. This is a necessity.

Well, I am here to tirelessly read all mails on the ml and answer to
those I think I can answer, and I think you may have overlooked when I
presented myself on the ml.

IMHO, saying "I am also involved in the
launch of the Mageia project since the start some months ago." was a
clear message.

While I would not present or consider myself as "core" based on
egalitarian beliefs, I think that for most people, I am considered like
it.

So except answers to questions that are not decided yet, what do you
expect ?

> There should also be a regular representative who reports back to the
> community. I think Anne is well known and respected and would be the
> most logical choice for this. AND someone to replace Anne when she is
> not able to do this after her working day. You need 24hrs a day
> representation on the ML and GMane. I did notice that once the Europeans
> are off and (obviously) at sleep, North Americans are on. You need to
> find a way to service your community 24hrs/day.

I think people are perfectly able to wait a few hours before getting a
response from a community effort, don't you  ?

Shall I remind the voluntary part of the engagement of most people on
the list ?

--
Michael Scherer