[Mageia-discuss] Think about bugzilla monitoring?

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Sat Sep 25 14:22:37 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 01:58:15PM +0200, Farfouille wrote:

> Le 25/09/2010 11:13, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> [...]
> >  We can also try to improve the efficiency of developers.
> [...]
> >So to conclude, as arrogant and elitist it will sound, the best way for
> >everybody to have a bug fixed is to fix it yourself.
> Hi,
>
> I do not fully agree with your demonstration, Michael. Mageia
> targets also Average Joe which obviously is not and never be a
> developer. Your conclusion is more appropriate for distros like
> fedora, which states clearly that their target audience is
> computer-friendly user (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base)
>
> That said, I believe that improving productivity of developers is
> part of the solution.
>
> How can it be done ?
>
> Short answer : by using language of higher level than C or C++.
This reasoning has already been taken in account even by distributions
that tend to attract more developper profiles.

Many end user tools are developped in python for this reason, because
python has the reputation of being easy to learn (though arguably perl
or ruby do their job well in that area too).

Two well-known examples in these area are networkmanager and
system-config-printer.
> What is means for Mageia ? Nothing for the moment, there are so many
> urgent thinks to do ;) But in the future I would like to help to
> promote high level language programming in Mageia community.
I suggest you to add yourself in this page :
http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=packaging

add some entries in the language list.

We need java experts, and vala and D are interesting too :-)

> Cheers
> Farfouille
Regards,
--