[Mageia-discuss] Mageia Mirror size

Thomas Backlund tmb at iki.fi
Fri Oct 1 08:09:56 CEST 2010

chag skrev 1.10.2010 05:15:

[top posting fixed]

> Le 01/10/2010 03:32, Olivier Thauvin a écrit :
>> Hi,

[...]
>> The current cooker tree (RPMS + installer only) is 88GB (SRPMS + i586 +
>> x86_64). If I add 3 DVD iso (4GB each) I get around 100GB.
>>
>> This mean at the begining our mirror will be ~80 GB and in 3 years (1
>> release every 6 months) our tree size will be around 700GB !
>>
>> 700GB is an huge size. I know anyone can buy a 1 TB hard drive for a
>> small price, however this is not the way it works in real datacenter
>> where people take care to the safety of data (RAID1 is two disk). And
>> we have to think to future: what will be the size in 6 years ?
>>
>> The current full Mandriva mirror is more than 1,2 TB.
>>
>> So an immediate question come: should we try to reduce the size ?
>>

> Today, you can find 1To SATA hard disks around 60€ (vat included). I
> shouldn't be to hard to have too I guess.if there's 100persons on this
> list, each gives 1.5€ and you are done with the 2x1To hard disks in RAID.

The problem is not the Mageia internal or reference mirror.
The problem is do we get enough big, fast and reliable mirrors that:
1. can be a Tier1
2. want to host that much data

This also affects how many downstream mirrors that want to help,
as they all ask: "do we want to host another ~1TB or so..."

And without enough good Tier1 mirrors, the few (one?) existing ones will
be overloaded, and mirroring will take a long time, meaning several
mirrors will have outdated / not fully synced mirrors -> Mageia gets
complaints about unreliable mirrors...

So it's sure something to think about...
--
Thomas