[Mageia-discuss] Mageia Mirror size

Gustavo Giampaoli giampaoli.gustavo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 20:28:56 CEST 2010

> What is the difference between main and contrib ? I mean, it was a
> understandable for Mandriva, main was rpms "guaranteed" by Mandriva while
> contrib was not. But now, with a project like mageia there is no longer need
> to separate main from contrib

Maybe you could have a "core" repo. Core will be the packages for a
bare distro. The completely naked basic distro. Kind of Mageia +
drakes + drivers + basic desktop. Not any "regular" application like
GIMP.  Pretty basic.

This core must be managed / touched / modified / updated only by a
"selected" group of developers. Because this core would be the spine
of the whole distro, the naked OS. This would ensure the stability of
the system because only pros and / or well
experienced-with--enough-merits developers will touch the system guts.

And you could have other repo for all the rest of the software.

Cheers!

Gustavo Giampaoli (aka tavillo1980)