[Mageia-discuss] Mageia Mirror size

Olivier Méjean omejean at yahoo.fr
Fri Oct 1 20:51:28 CEST 2010

Le vendredi 1 octobre 2010 20:28:56, Gustavo Giampaoli a écrit :
> > What is the difference between main and contrib ? I mean, it was a
> > understandable for Mandriva, main was rpms "guaranteed" by Mandriva while
> > contrib was not. But now, with a project like mageia there is no longer
> > need to separate main from contrib
>
> Maybe you could have a "core" repo. Core will be the packages for a
> bare distro. The completely naked basic distro. Kind of Mageia +
> drakes + drivers + basic desktop. Not any "regular" application like
> GIMP.  Pretty basic.
>
> This core must be managed / touched / modified / updated only by a
> "selected" group of developers. Because this core would be the spine
> of the whole distro, the naked OS. This would ensure the stability of
> the system because only pros and / or well
> experienced-with--enough-merits developers will touch the system guts.
>
> And you could have other repo for all the rest of the software.
>
> Cheers!
>

> Gustavo Giampaoli (aka tavillo1980)

So following that way, let's name core the media containing the core of the
system and ... well ... non-core the rest (keeping also non-free)

Maybe before talking about mirror size it could be nice to think about how
will mageia deal with rpms, core and non-core, how to include new software.
This last point is important if using fixed release since in Mandriva there was
no repo for newly added software (eg if mysupersoft was released after
Mandriva 2010 there was no repo to include it, maybe backport, what's lead to
create third part repos)

--
Olivier Méjean
Président de l'Association des Utilisateurs Francophones de Mandriva Linux