[Mageia-discuss] Mailing List to Web Forum Bidirectional Gateway

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Mon Oct 4 02:21:01 CEST 2010

> Hi there
>
> Well, that's a great job, really, nice to see such a thing is possible.
>
> However i would like to point something very important for me, forum users are
> quite different from ML users.
>
> In fact, throught this system we face one goal of Mageia. Will it be a
> distribution for "developers" or for "end-users" (well i know developers are
> also end-users). End-users, well just users may come from Windows (i hope we
> will attract some to the good side of the force :D ) and they feels a forum
> must easier than a ML. Just look at rules on the ML here, no html, no top
> posting, just quote well are things that needs to use mail correctly. And just
> use mail correctly is sometimes hard for just users. I do not work in
> computing and i just see how computers are seen, how they are used and how
> theses 3 rules would be hard to use. No HTML ? well i guess few users (outside
> those working in computing) knows how to do it, no top posting ... ouch quite
> impossible, quote well ... hum what do you calll quoting ?
>
> Let's face it, ML is a tool for developers not a tool for users. As a user i
> do prefer forums, on one topic i can have the full discussion no need to
> navigate between mails, there are colors, it is (or it give the feeling) more
> attractive and newbies or users will prefer using forums. That's the same
> thing between using GUI or CLI, i know CLI is powerful, faster, very efficient,
> but for users GUI is better, they feel at ease when using their mouse to point
> and click, validate.
>
> I have also praticed a lot web forum, and a very little usenet and it is also
> two differents audience. Anyone here on alt.os.linux.mandriva (hum yes Marc
> Paré is on) ?
>
> So, even if there is a good tool to have a bidirectional Gateway between ML
> and web forum i don't think we will meet efficiency with it. The best way for me
> is to have these different tools since they have different audiences, some of us
> will be on both tools but most will use just one.

You have actually enumerated the many reasons why this is such a great
setup. Regardless of anyone's preference of communication, we can all
talk to each other. It's as if there was a universal translator that
would enable everyone to speak in their native language but we could all
understand each other --- you know like on StarTrek Voyageur!

Anyone can pick the way they want their voice to be heard and we can all
hear, whether you are a dev or user. I don't think that there will ever
be an efficient and unified communication tool, so if we can offer ML,
usenet and forums to everyone to pick from, then it is a big plus for
our distro. How wonderful is that?

BTW ... I also manage an online magazine and receive messages from user
mailists ... approximately 20-30 of them. They are pretty active and
none of them are dev mailists.

Eh! oui, je participe aussi à alt.os.linux.mandriva mais je ne suis pas
le seul du groupe usenet Mandriva qui est à l'écoute ici sur le Mageia
mailist.

Marc