[Mageia-discuss] Mailing List to Web Forum Bidirectional Gateway

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Mon Oct 4 16:37:15 CEST 2010

Quote: maat-ml wrote on Mon, 04 October 2010 16:05
> Nope. This is just common sense.

It's about as much common sense as what Marc, me and others said.

None of us can know what kind of users Mageia will attract, but a fork of a
small, relatively unknown minority Linux distro (all survey results I have
seen give Mandriva about a 5-10% share of the Linux desktop users) will
very unlikely attract hordes of clueless newbies that will behave badly on
the forum and the MLs.

Of course there will be always some odd exception, but that's unavoidable
and manageable.

Maybe once Mageia becomes as popular as Ubuntu, then we might have to worry
about this.

> I also comes from a projet which had been using fudforum as a full
> symmetric gateway for several lists (users, devs).
>
> People answering existing topics for a new subject force moderators to
> split them
>
> Hence the thread is broken on the mailing list (and no way to change
> back thread id on a mailing list)

Well, this is wrong. Even with my little experience so far, common sense
tells me not to split any threads in the ML gw forums, the only safe
manipulation is merging threads and
worst case censoring/deleting posts (in extreme cases, if they are
completely out of order, with swear words and personal attacks).

Of course that means that some threads contain OT posts, but that would be
the case on the ML anyway.

A ML gw subforum on a web forum cannot be moderated in the same way as a
normal web forum thread, it needs to be treated like a ML thread.