[Mageia-discuss] Wish List

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Mon Oct 4 19:20:54 CEST 2010

> No, i must confess that I didn't use a modem since a long time ( the
> only one I used is the one of my mobile phone, and I used wvdial (not
> user friendly) and network-manager ( not sure it can work with non 3g
> modem )), so I cannot really tell where to look for filling a bug
> report.
>
> But I think you are right and that's important to make sure that it work
> fine.

I think that we often forget that some users struggle with dial-up
connections. André pointed this out to us a couple of posts ago. Mageia
should maybe be a little more sensitive to this and have the tools for
dial-up connection already installed rather than having the user go back
and download either from the install disk or internet.

My mother and father/mother-in-laws are on Madriva 2009.1 Dial-ups with
external modems. They are quite happy with the setups, but I did have to
install the dial-up software at the time. Apparently Kppp will be part
of the install package with KDE installs.

I prefer external modems, less driver problems.

Dial-up in Canada is $9/month Cdn. in most cities.

Marc