[Mageia-discuss] Is it possible to give a platform for translation of different languages?

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 01:08:10 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 00:57, Adrian Marcinkowski <amfidiusz at gmail.com> wrote:
> W dniu 2010-10-06 00:43, Jiang Yike pisze:
>>
>> Except the original text of English or French, can other languages
>> translation use a edit mode as Wikipedia?
>
> Well, this is how blogs are going to be maintained. I don't think the
> mageia.org frontpage will be further developed in the way it can be seen
> today. Before the first stable release is announce, the site will definitely
> need to be redesigned.

Definitely, yes.

> However, in my opinion it would be better to leave it
> only in English with URLs leading to non-English communities.
>
> To sum up, I believe there is not need to give access to the site to
> translators.

Depends. We would like the main web site to be localized in several,
many languages (notwithstanding other web resources).

There are several ways to do it: CMS, wiki, specific po file-based,
full HTML in language trees through a SCM, etc.

The main website being more in a showcase situation, we will need to
have a reasonable control over the HTML there, in every locale. There
is a balance to find between Web design, integrators and translators
coordination. So it may be that a light, custom, HTML edited,
file-based with a SCM solution would fit (every translator handling
her own language tree, synchronizing with the pivot language -
Blogdrake people experienced that in the past, I already posted
something about that in a earlier message; it has drawbacks,
advantages and can be improved).

Other parts of the Web site will definitely use something else
(localized forums, wikis, some specific web apps, hence using language
files). Again, nothing decided yet.

I hope we can start working on this about next week (going through the
Web team, coordinating with comm' and marketing teams).

Cheers,

Romain